(Do You Need it?) Himalayan Salt Lamp


I'm starting this new question thread called "Do you need it?" for the purpose of research and legitimizing my online purchases. As I write this, it is currently 2 PM and I am debating whether or not I should purchase a Himalayan Salt Lamp and/or an Atmos Fit Band.

Of course, the purpose of this purchase is for me to have better sleep and to track it.

Sleep is really important to me and that might seem like a joke as it is nearing 3 AM and a few boxes in my to-do list still remain unticked. I know that my body functions well when it got a proper night's sleep. And when my body functions well, I am in a happier disposition throughout the day.

I have made a few lifestyle changes, mostly in my diet and exercise. I can confidently say now that I am certainly a more positive, more energized and healthier person. (Note: I haven't written a blog dedicated to the things that contributed to my happiness and I should. Maybe tomorrow.)

However, I want more. I want to fix my sleeping pattern becauase I want to wake up earlier. In a perfect world, I wake up at 5 AM to have a race with the sun. The idea of meditating at 5 AM and seeing the sunrise and smelling the air that isn't rancid with humidity and sweat is really attractive. I want to experience that. And so, I am thinking of buying a Himalayan Salt Lamp.

First, let's talk about the Himalayan Salt Lamp. It seems ot be in line with the zen life that I'm aiming for right now.

What is a Himalayan Salt Lamp


Well, I know Himalayan Salt. I am familiar with it because it makes dark chocolate taste even better.  (That reminds me, I need to buy that for baking). It's supposed to have a myriad of benefits when it comes to health (I need to research this so I'll get back to you on this)

I assume that Himalayan Salt Lamp is a huge chunk of Himalayan rock. I'm right. It's a huge Himalayan rock with a bulb inside.

What are the benefits of a Himalayan Salt Lamp?


Here's where research comes in handy because TBH I have no idea.

First, I know that it looks good and I'd love to have it next to my bed. It emits and orange-hued light because ... Himalayan rock is orangey. This is actually one of the many important things you need before sleep.

At night there are so many things you can tinker with. If you're like everybody else, you use the normal blinding light that is a gift from Thomas Edison and company (who remain unremembered because they didn't know how to market themselves). Unfortunately, that's not very good if you want to fall into a deep happy sleep.

Blue light (from normal bulbs, computers, phones, everything else that's ordinary) wakes you up. It reduces melatonin production which disrupts your sleep. To counter this, you need to stick with reddish colors. There are available apps for phones, but for my desk lamp and light bulbs there's nothing I can do.

And that's the number one reason why I need a Himalayan Salt Lamp.

After some research, I stumble on something called negative ions. I skipped it because I don't like science and it's past 3 AM so I don't want to deal with difficult words. It has something to do with cleaning the air thus improving breathing and minimizing allergens. You can read more from Critical Cactus who did better research.

Another important thing is that it give protection against electromagnetic radiation. Okay, this is still science but this is something I know of because I spend hours in front of my gadgets and I am a "health freak". So electromagnet radiation increases cortisol level. CORTISOL is BAD. It even sounds bad.

It makes you tired, stressed, sick, distracted and just generally unhappy. There should be a villain somewhere named Cortisol.

How to choose a good lamp


The darker, the better. Some lamps that are lighter in color may be of lower quality. Also, because it is an investment (AKA it is more expensive than other lamps), be sure to invest well and find one that has a good base. You need to warm the rock enough for it to work its magic.  And you also need a durable one.

The Himalayan rock may be great but the actual bulb inside breaking on you before a month will be pretty maddening. Plus, you can reap the benefits of the rock for years so choose a bulb that can keep up.

Do you need it? I'm talking to you, Pam.
Do you really need it.
It's staying in the cart. Will update tomorrow.
Good night!

Comments

Popular Posts