On Matcha

I like matcha a lot.

Unfortunately, it's so hard to find matcha powder here in Davao. I saw a matcha powder for sale at Gaisano mall before but when I came back for it, it's gone. I don't know how it happened but it did and it was such a miserable feeling to know it might exist somewhere in their storage area, unloved.

It is therefore to my mother's regret that I can only find matcha drinks at fancy coffee places.  Again, I am sorry, mother. In my defense, I honestly believe that matcha latte is worth it. In fact, it's the only thing worth buying in fancy places because that's the only place I can get them. So yes, I will fight for my right to spend my mother's money and drink fancy matcha.

So here's a review of two of the best Matcha or Green Tea Latte (I actually don't know if the latter is not matcha but I hope it is).

The first drink is from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, my first love.

Beautiful strong and slightly sweet-- all the characteristics of an ideal partner for life.

There are times when it's too watered down (depending on the branch) but the one from UP Technohub is seriously beautiful. There's a lot of matcha powder in this drink so they are not cheating you off your money. In fact, when you get to the bottom of the drink, it's overly concentrated that it's too strong to consume with a smile. This of course is perfect because I can just ask for ice and finish my drink coolly.

Get it? Coolly?

Moving on.

The second drink is the Green Tea Latte. from Starbucks.

The first time I tried this I hated it so much. I didn't know they put syrup in it so I ordered it like how people who know nothing usually do. I am just kidding. Honestly, though, I wish that Baristas ask us our preferences aside from the cup size. Like, is that their only concern? How rude.

Kidding.

But really, how do I know I have options if they don't tell me about it. I mean sure that would take a longer time but I feel like everyone will be happier if they know what they are ordering. Also, there must be a code for people who don't want to be asked about other things aside from their cup size. It's awkward sometimes when you are not in the mood and the baristas ask you stuff. Of course,the proper thing to do is respond in the mot not unkind way possible because they are only asking you how you are and you have no reason to be rude.

Well, actually, when you are feeling really shitty and someone asks you how you are when you just want to be in peace, might be a problem. I think that sometimes the question "how are you?" is not simply a question but a reminder of every bad and shitty things happening in the world.

Well, that went in a direction I didn't expect.

Back to matcha and other happy things.

I tried the green tea latte again without syrup and good lord it was good. Again sometimes, I get drinks that feels like the barista is skimping on the matcha, but there are also times when everything is perfect and beautiful. It is less sweet than the CBTL one because they don't use vanilla powder. Starbucks' Green Tea Latte tastes like an honest matcha and fresh milk. That is beautiful and doesn't pack a lot of calories. If you want to indulge, there's always vanilla powder in their condiments section.

Honestly, if you put in vanilla powder, these drinks taste almost the same. CBTL's matcha is however more compact and dense, It has more flavor in it. I thin it's because they put in more powder? I am not sure. For this battle, the CBTL wins for me. The vanilla played a big part in this though. Their matcha to vanilla ratio is not exactly something I have yet to perfect. Starbucks' Green Tea Latte wins if you want a lighter drink (I am assuming you don't use syrup here) but for the overall flavor, CBTL wins.
















Comments

Popular Posts